- Agarwal V, Abhijnhan A, Raviraj P. Ayurvedic medicine for schizophrenia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2007;(4):CD006867 [edited 2010]. Accessed at www.thecochranelibrary.com on January 8, 2013.
- Barnes PM, Bloom B, Nahin R. Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States, 2007. (361KB PDF) CDC National Health Statistics Report #12. 2008.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lead poisoning in pregnant women who used Ayurvedic medications from India—New York City, 2011-2012. MMWR. Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. 2012; 61(33):641–646.
- Chopra A, Doiphode VV. Ayurvedic medicine. Core concept, therapeutic principles, and current relevance. Medical Clinics of North America. 2002;86(1):75–88.
- Conboy L, Edshteyn I, Garivaltis H. Ayurveda and Panchakarma: measuring the effects of a holistic health intervention. Scientific World Journal. 2009;9:272–280.
- Elder C, Aickin M, Bauer V, et al. Randomized trial of a whole-system Ayurvedic protocol for type 2 diabetes. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine. 2006;12(5):24–30.
- Furst DE, Venkatraman MM, McGann M, et al. Double-blind, randomized, controlled, pilot study comparing classic Ayurvedic medicine, methotrexate, and their combination in rheumatoid arthritis. Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. 2011;17(4):185–192.
- Gogtay NJ, Bhatt HA, Dalvi SS, et al. The use and safety of non-allopathic Indian medicines. Drug Safety. 2002;25(14):1005–1019.
- Goldblatt E, Snider P, Quinn S, et al. Clinicians’ and Educators’ Desk Reference on the Licensed Complementary and Alternative Healthcare Professions. Seattle, WA: Academic Consortium for Complementary and Alternative Health Care; 2009.
- Jurenka JS. Anti-inflammatory properties of curcumin, a major constituent of Curcuma longa: a review of preclinical and clinical research. Alternative Medicine Review. 2009;14(2):141–153.
- Karri SK, Saper RB, Kales SN. Lead encephalopathy due to traditional medicines. Current Drug Safety. 2008;3(1):54–59.
- Patwardhan K. The history of the discovery of blood circulation: unrecognized contributions of Ayurveda masters. Advances in Physiology Education. 2012;36(2):77–82.
- Saper RB, Kales SN, Paquin J, et al. Lead, mercury, and arsenic in U.S.- and Indian-manufactured Ayurvedic medicines sold via the Internet. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2008;300(8):915–923.
- Shankar K, Liao LP. Traditional systems of medicine. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. 2004;15(4):725–747.
- Sridharan K, Mohan R, Ramaratnam S, et al. Ayurvedic treatments for diabetes mellitus. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2011;(12):CD008288. Accessed at www.thecochranelibrary.com on July 15, 2013.
- White B, Judkins DZ. Clinical Inquiry. Does turmeric relieve inflammatory conditions? Journal of Family Practice. 2011;60(3):155–156.
- Vishal AA, Mishra A, Raychaudhuri SP. A double blind, randomized, placebo controlled clinical study evaluates the early efficacy of aflapin in subjects with osteoarthritis of knee. International Journal of Medical Sciences. 2011;8(7):615–622.
References for Ayurvedic Medicine: An Introduction
This page last modified February 12, 2015