Hilton Cleveland Downtown
This event requires registration for the 2020 International Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health (ICIMH).
Investigators often face many challenges to simply succeed in publishing research articles. And while publication of results is an excellent goal, the opportunity to make important scientific contributions does not stop with publication. Effectively sharing relevant research findings with nonscientific audiences—the public, patients, health care providers, other stakeholders (including funders)—is an important step in equipping these audiences with the information they need for decisionmaking.
This workshop will focus on how an investigator can effectively share data results with nonscientific audiences to garner appropriate attention for the science, help the public understand the results, and encourage informed decisionmaking rooted in scientific evidence. The NCCIH Office of Communications and Public Liaison team and NCCIH Division of Extramural Research Outreach Program Manager will present communications best practices to aid investigators in harnessing resources, collaborating with institutional partners, and honing skills for effectively communicating scientific results to lay audiences. Attendees will learn how to:
- Develop effective messages and leverage the elements of “story” to promote understanding/recall
- Work with communications teams at home institutions to promote and share research results
- Effectively and appropriately use social media channels while avoiding common pitfalls
- Conduct a good media interview using proven tips and techniques
- Effectively engage with your NIH program director/funding institution.
Each part of the workshop will offer insights, instruction, and opportunities for participants to directly work on their messages and develop skills for serving as a better spokesperson for both their own research and their home institutions.
- Catherine Law, NCCIH, Bethesda, Maryland
- Anita McRae-Williams, NCCIH, Bethesda, Maryland
- Irene Liu, NCCIH, Bethesda, Maryland
- Berna Diehl, Brighton Communications, LLC, Fairfax, Virginia