Bldg 10, Lipsett Amphitheater, NIH Campus
On Monday, September 23, 2019, the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) will host a 1-day research symposium to celebrate the Center’s 20th anniversary. This event will celebrate progress in complementary and integrative health research and look to the future of the field. The day will feature a Stephen E. Straus Distinguished Lecture in the Science of Complementary Therapies by Dr. Lorimer Moseley of the University of South Australia titled “Why We Need a Pain Revolution: From Science to Practice,” lightning round presentations with early-stage investigators, and two panel discussions on pain research in military and veteran populations as well as the future of natural products research.
Please register, whether you plan to attend in person or via videocast, using this Eventbrite link.
This event is partially supported by the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health with a generous gift from Bernard and Barbro Osher.
- 9:00 – 9:15 am
Opening Remarks and Introduction
Francis Collins, M.D., Ph.D., and Helene Langevin, M.D.
- 9:15 – 10:15 am
Why We Need a Pain Revolution: From Science to Practice
Stephen E. Straus Distinguished Lecture in the Science of Complementary Therapies
Lorimer Moseley, Ph.D.
- 10:15 – 11:45 am
Lightning Round Presentations by Invited Early Stage Investigators*
Emmeline Edwards, Ph.D. (moderator)
- 11:45 am – 1:15 pm
Attendee Lunch on Own
- 1:15 - 2:30 pm
Panel – Pain Management in Military and Veteran Populations
Wendy Weber, N.D., Ph.D., M.P.H. (moderator)
Christine Goertz, D.C., Ph.D., Robert Kerns, Ph.D., and Donald McGeary, Ph.D.
- 2:30 – 2:45 pm
- 2:45 – 4:00 pm
Panel – Natural Products Research: Future of the Field
Craig Hopp, Ph.D. (moderator)
Martin Blaser, Ph.D., Nadja Cech, Ph.D., and Cassandra Quave, Ph.D.
- 4:00 – 4:30 pm
The Role of Integrative Medicine in Wellness and Prevention: Looking Forward
Helene Langevin, M.D., and David Shurtleff, Ph.D.
*Early Stage Investigators for Lightning Round
- Omayma Alshaarawy, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., Michigan State University
- Lauren Atlas, Ph.D., NCCIH Division of Intramural Research
- Yarimar Carrasquillo, Ph.D., NCCIH Division of Intramural Research
- Alex Chesler, Ph.D., NCCIH Division of Intramural Research
- Jiang-Ti Kong, M.D., Stanford University
- Brent Leininger, D.C., M.S., University of Minnesota
- Maren Nyer, Ph.D., Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medha Pathak, Ph.D., University of California, Irvine
- Amanda Shallcross, N.D., M.P.H., New York University
- Patrick Shih, Ph.D., University of California, Davis
- Zirui Song, M.D., Ph.D., Harvard Medical School
- Helen Weng, Ph.D., University of California, San Francisco